This is what we know.
- Recommendations from all state police agencies will be tabled at a meeting of the Law, Crime and Community Safety Council (LCCSC), likely to be held in October this year.
- These recommendations have been shrouded in secrecy and neither industry nor recreational organisations have been consulted. Traditionally this means bad news for Law Abiding Firearm Owners.
- Classification of lever action firearms, magazine capacities and storage are likely to be included in their recommendations.
- There is every possibility that changes to the NFA could lead to compulsory confiscation of some firearms.
- This is the biggest threat to licensed law abiding firearm owners since the 1996-gun confiscation.
It is critical that we make our concerns known loudly and decisively.
It cannot be overstated what may happen here. It is vitally important to voice your concern to your Local, State and Federal parliamentary members, or better still, meet your local members face to face.
All firearm owners should write to their State Police Ministers and request a copy of their NFA review recommendations. You can do this through the Shooters Union “Send your Views” portal.
Remember to be polite and respectful, the purpose of these letters is to ask for genuine consultation, not to attack people or score points.
Shooters Union Australia is a not for profit organisation which represents thousands of firearms owners and users across Australia. We are actively involved in the political scene, lobbying against the unfair, unreasonable and unconstitutional vilification of firearms owners at every level of government. Our aim is to work towards a co-operative system of effective gun control, and together we are affecting positive change on firearm legislation in Australia. Help us to change the social dialogue around firearms, firearms ownership and the shooters themselves.
Join us to help make a difference, stop discrimination and create a system of fair policies that support and protect. Click here to learn more about the advantages of Shooters Union membership.
Please freely share our message on social media: