This is what we know.
- Recommendations from all state police agencies will be tabled at a meeting of the Law, Crime and Community Safety Council (LCCSC), likely to be held in October this year.
- These recommendations have been shrouded in secrecy and neither industry nor recreational organisations have been consulted. Traditionally this means bad news for Law Abiding Firearm Owners.
- Classification of lever action firearms, magazine capacities and storage are likely to be included in their recommendations.
- There is every possibility that changes to the NFA could lead to compulsory confiscation of some firearms.
- This is the biggest threat to licensed law abiding firearm owners since the 1996-gun confiscation.
It is critical that we make our concerns known loudly and decisively.
It cannot be overstated what may happen here. It is vitally important to voice your concern to your Local, State and Federal parliamentary members, or better still, meet your local members face to face.
All firearm owners should write to their State Police Ministers and request a copy of their NFA review recommendations. You can do this through the Shooters Union “Send your Views” portal.
Remember to be polite and respectful, the purpose of these letters is to ask for genuine consultation, not to attack people or score points.